Monday 20 August 2007

We partied like it was 1999

This post is dedicated to the Prince show I saw two days ago at the O2 Centre in London (North Greenwich to be exact). I've been reading reviews of the shows he's been putting on (if you're unaware, he's playing 21 shows in LDN)since starting 1 Aug. This being his ninth show in, you would think he'd be bored of us.

I'm not entirely sure bored would be the word. But he is Prince, and he knows he's a legend. So, he can act like a King. And that he did. He took the stage at 9:25 to a very antsy and excited crowd. Sold-out, of course. Wait, before I go on, the stage was amazing. I'll have to post pictures (which we illegally took) on my .mac website. It was shaped in his Prince symbol, which light up in different colors and prints throughout the performance - so much fun.

To see his complete set-list, I've found Housequake to be the best. I can't say that I was the most fanatical Prince fan upon entering the concert, however after the show I must get copies of as many CDs he's got (what, like 1,000?) ASAP.

Still, I was so excited when the third song in was 1999. Other favorites included: Cream, Purple Rain (I was SO happy to hear it), Raspberry Beret, and a rendition of Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World. Half way through the show he included a synth set of around eight of his songs, which was both a tease and a lot of fun. Of course, he kept telling us we weren't ready for them... Which made the crowd erupt in the loudest screaming I've ever experienced at any concert in my life - and I've been to hundreds. Do I need to remind you, I'm only 23?

His encore was immense - Kiss followed by Let's Go Crazy. He kept joking that he was out of hits and didn't know what else to play. Even though this would have been quite brazen and boasting coming from anyone else, it made him seem more human. Turns out, Prince can be funny. And I really like him. I thought beforehand (especially after Dave Chapelle's hilarious skit as him playing basketball in a purple velvet suit) he was a serious weirdo with a short-man complex. Well, I'm going to revamp my mindset of him. I really, really like him now.

So even though he only played for one hour and 20 minutes, I was sold. One of the best performances I've ever seen. And I don't think I've seen a more involved crowd in my life. They ate it up. With cream on top.

Maybe one of the best £31 I've ever spent. And now I can say, "Yeah, I saw Prince in London, baby."

No comments: