Wednesday 1 August 2007

Amazingly bored

I've officially found the bottom of boredom. It hit me today. August the first. I could potentially scratch my eyeballs out, just for fun. Classes ended 5 April, and since then, I've had nothing to do, outside of finding stuff to do, on a daily basis. And in a week, all of that is going to change drastically.

I start work 1 week from today. Am I nervous? A bit. Am i sad my four month long vacation is going to end? Not at all. Not in the least. There is only so much you can do without making an income in this city. I've seen it all (not really). I'm so ready to join the daily office 'grind' and made new friends, and do things that don't involve eating breakfast at noon and commencing on the couch for a few hours staring at my computer screen. So excited.

As for today, I went to the park. It was a 'heat wave'. The quotes are for the fact there's a real heat wave in my hometown of Boston, where it's a gorgeous 90F/32C. Here, it was 75F/24C. That's not even real summer weather to me. It needs to at least be 80F/27C for it be summer. Anyways, I reveled in the fact it was a 'heat wave' and laid out at my local park. I may have even helped my fading tan a bit. No need to worry about my skin, though, I was protected with 30SPF. I fear skin cancer like the plague.

Bonus points for me, I finished No God But God by Reza Aslan. It took me a while to get through (started it in June, then left for Boston for 3 weeks, came back and wrote my final, so there's been a month gap). For someone who knew nothing about Islam beforehand, I have a much broader knowledge of it now. It makes me sad, after reading about it, how terrible of a view Christians and Jews have of Islam post-9/11. And a little tid-bit from the book, the Regan administration funded Osama bin Laden and the Taliban to help topple Communism. Not that I'm surprised, or anything.

Next up, I'm reading Watching the British by Kate Fox. And after that I'm going to buy The Glass Castle. I enjoy being literate and reading something other than the free tabloids on the tube.

No comments: